Those of you familiar with the Sling Media SlingCatcher may be doing a double take right now. No, that isn’t a SlingCatcher, but it sure looks like someone found the old dies laying around and decided to put them to use again, doesn’t it? That’s the just announced AMEX Digital MP-G7 Media Gate Google ANDROID TV Media Player. You’ve never heard of AMEX Digital? That’s OK, neither have I. But, based on their corporate profile, they’re a Chinese company founded in 1990.
The description certainly sounds interesting:
MP-G7 is designed based on a DUAL CORE ARM Cortex CPU with Full HD Accelerator processing architecture which has optimized performance, power and area. In addition to the popular CPU core which is the central part for all decoding algorithms and providing maximum flexibility, MP-G7 also offers easy-to-use peripheral interfaces, such as USB devices, SD memory card interfaces. MP-G7 Integrated HDMI provides a full HD(1920x1080p) Digital A/V Digital Audio output and supports TV video interface such as Full HD Component out. With User Friendly on-screen-display, consumers can easily change and activate features / functions by using the ANDROID OS.
Note that they never specify which version of the Android OS this runs, and while they have ‘Google ANDROID TV’ in the name, I suspect this isn’t actually a Google TV device. But rather that they’ve grabbed the Android OS and slapped their own media player software on it. The site lists the price as US$199.00, but who knows if this will ever actually make it to the market in the US.
Full specs below:
- DUAL CORE ARM Cortex CPU with Full HD Accelerator processing
- 16KB I-Cache + 16KB D-Cache
- Support dual channel DDR2- 800MHz DRAM
- Support NAND, NOR flash
- MKV, MKV2TS, H.264, VC-1, AVS, RMVB, MPEG-1/2/4, DivX 4/5/6, Sorenson, MJPEG decode up to 1920x1080p@30fps
- HQ de-interlacer & HQ scalar with edge smoothing
- JPEG decode 256Mp, 40Mp@<1s
- Support JPEG, BMP, GIF, TIFF, PNG, RAW (DNG)
- Support YUV444/422/420 formats
- Support color enhancement (SW support for DPF)
- Support 6-axis color adjustment
- MP3, WMA, WAV, AMR, AAC, OGG, PCM/ADPCM, AC-3, SRS, DD+, RA decode
- Dobly TrueHD upon request
- HDMI v1.3a output (including Link & PHY) support HDCP1.3 + CEC
- Full HD Component out
- TOSLINK S/P DIF optical digital audio out
- RCA audio out
- *Optional Digital TV tuner
Full HD Graphic & Display engine
- BitBlit, ROPs 256, Pattern Fill, Scaler
- Texture Parallogram
- Support Median filter to smooth edge
- 2.5″ Hard disk inside ready
- USB 2.0 X 2
- SD card reader
- IR remote Controller
- Support Wi-Fi, LAN
Via Akihabara News.